Thursday, June 23, 2011

Syzygys- Complete Studio Recordings[2003]

I'm in the middle of packing for the fireside jamboree and a marathon Jandek session right now, so I'll just do a short one about an interesting album that I don't know much about.


Syzygys is one of the longest words in the English language without a single standard vowel. Huh. It's also a Japanese female duo who play fun little pop songs based in Harry Partch's microtonal scale. They're a part of Tzadik's New Japan series, which consistently releases some of the best and weirdest Japan has to offer. This album has a very whimsical feel to it, and while there are vocals, the instrumentals are by and large my favorite part.

Stylistically, this album is all over the place, ranging from faux-Middle-eastern dirges to carnival-esque ditties, there are a lot of unexpected turns. I guarantee that this sounds like nothing else you've heard, but it won't be one of those albums that you only listen to because it's weird. I already find myself coming back to it just for fun.

3 comments: